Saudi Aramco and the Yokogawa Electric Corporation, a Japanese pioneer in distributed control systems, recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that will have Yokogawa spearheading a proactive Saudization policy— thereby contributing to the Saudi economy whilst providing high-quality local services in Saudi Arabia.
The leading distribution control systems company monitors and controls processes in a board range of production facilities. Its comprehensive solution includes sensors (pressure transmitters, flow-meters, and analyzers) control systems, software that improves productivity, and services that optimize plant lifecycle costs. These solutions play vital supporting roles in many industries like: oil, chemical, natural gas, electric power, iron and steel, pulp and paper, pharmaceuticals, and food industries.
Using its manufacturing, research and development capabilities, and digitization in the oil and gas industry, Yokogawa will support the Kingdom Vision 2030 by helping Saudi Arabia transition into a knowledge-based economy, and imparting skills and manufacturing know-how to the local workforce.
The MoU will promote a mutual collaborative framework for investment and expansion, like new technology piloting, field testing, research and development. Under the agreement, Yokogawa and Saudi Aramco will work on the following:
- Investment outlook: exploring opportunities for investment and expansion, such as establishing a manufacturing facility in the Energy Industrial City, establishing a second global engineering center, and establishing a global training center for Yokogawa’s niche technology fields.
- Future outlook: doubling the size of its Saudi Arabia business by training and developing 2,000 male and female Saudis in technical fields, increase local services and products from the current 50% to 70%, increase export of services and products, an execute research and development projects.
- Research and development: asset monitoring to reduce plant shut-downs and unnecessary maintenance costs, advanced process control for efficient and stable process operation, and develop intelligent Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for plant operation.
- Technology piloting: manufacturing unique solutions that address Saudi Aramco field challenges, such as the New Fiber Sensing technology, process simulation technology, and future industrial trends.
- Other areas: such as implementation of digitalization solutions for performance monitoring, developing a cloud platform, and testing network solutions for plant networks and systems. Additionally, collaboration on research projects, knowledge sharing, and specialist expertise.